MAY 2013. The last few days have been just lovely. A long soaking rain followed by two days of brilliant sunshine and warm (not hot) temperatures have resulted in the countryside turning many different shades of green, and lovely spring flowers showing up everywhere. Such great weather inspires optimism and a sense of peace. Summer will come, but I am looking for a long, slow spring.
We've done a show in Reading, a show in Milford Square, just outside of Quakertown, and a small display at the International Spring Festival in Lansdale and enjoyed them all. Always great to see our friends and make new ones and always something new to learn and do. Our next show is the big one in Allentown at the Agriplex and we will be fully restocked and have some new items, too, and we are hoping you will find time to stop by. It's an interesting show with many different types of readers, vendors, workshops, and interesting displays and well worth your time.
We recently went to Accessories the Show, a wholesale fashion show at the Javits Center in NYC for fall/winter fashions. Seems strange to walk from one season into another entirely, but we love seeing what's new and deciding what you would like to be wearing in 6 months. What you should be wearing, according to 90% of the fashionistas we saw, is leggings or skinny jeans with long, full tops. Boots and jangly jewelry complete the ensemble. Lots of prints and patterns in the tops, with bright colors. We ordered some lovely patterned capes for fall, some cute lacy, narrow flowered scarves for now, and some interesting "Tibetan style" jackets. Photos will go online as we receive these items.
We put some of our current items up on Pinterest. Look for the Boards named “elenandtuka.com” Pinterest You can check them out here.
Don't forget, if you want to see any of our merchandise in a private showing, just email us to set up an appointment. We also can create a fun fashion party for you and your friends, featuring wardrobe advice and how to accessorize.
More Upcoming Fashion TrendsFashion Week Breaking Trends Fall 2013
- Plaids, Tartans & Houndstooth: Menswear was definitely the word at Fashion Weeks around the world this season. Designers covered apparel and accessories with plaids, tartans and houndstooth checks of all sizes and shapes on everything from knits to furs to silks. In the best cases, designers matched handbags to coats for a pulled-together look.
- Plastics & Lucite: Introduced back in the 1940‘s Lucite has long been a staple in jewelry boxes across the world. After undergoing a modern update, plastics and Lucite alike are clear (no pun intended) trends that will be a favorite across all categories of accessories this spring.
- Feathers: Birds of a feather have been definitely flocking together at the Fall 2013 shows! On many international runways, the feathers were flying, either as the main event or highly innovative trim. On shrugs to skirts to handbags and even crystals that swept the neck like a feathered necklace, feathers have never been so prominent.
- Red & Black: Whatis black and red and chic all over? The international runways this Fall! Designers have hit this stark color combo in every way, from head to toe, be it in prints, embellishments or just mixed ensembles. While there is certainly an Asian flair to black and red, interpretations in so many more ways, from tartan plaids to glam furs to whimsical lobster prints.
- Blue holds true with denim on denim in a chic, slouchy and updated way. Silhouettes of the season are turn of the century and romantic with lots of rich textures in jewel tones, bottled greens, pewter and metallic washes. Western gallops strong onto the show floor, more Johnny Cash than John Wayne.
- Silver usually represents second place, but not this season! Making a bold statement on many of the most prestigious runways, silver jewelry and hardware is sure to be a winner in the coming months!
Tuka update . Tuka is already looking forward to spring when the air is balmy and she can sit on her back porch admiring the garden and soaking her feet! The early part of the year is that restful time when she and her husband make fewer trips all over Pennsylvania giving talks on Native American topics and also Native Americans in the Civil War. Tuka's children's book, When the Shadbush Blooms continues to be used for multicultural children's programs and ESL classes. Click here to read more on Shadbush. Tuka's Web site As always, Tuka is available and happy to give fashion consultations on stretching your clothing dollar.